Dental hygiene is as important as regular dental check-ups. When brushing teeth, only 60% of the surface is cleaned – the remaining 40% is cleaned with flossing. So, if you don't floss at all or only intermittently, our dental hygienist must keep on top of any plaque bacteria building up on your teeth. Prevention is one of the best cures, and oral hygiene is vital to your treatment plan.
Firstly, our hygienist removes the plaque and tartar that builds up on your teeth. An ultrasound scraper removes most of the tartar, followed by specialised instruments to remove the remaining tartar and plaque. The second stage is to 'polish' the teeth to remove stains leaving teeth clean, bright and shiny. Polishing also makes it harder for plaque build up.
Gum disease is caused by plaque bacteria building up on your teeth over time, no matter how well you brush. Plaque can cause bleeding gums, bad breath, and gum disease. If left untreated, gum disease can result in tooth loss - so getting your teeth professionally cleaned regularly is essential, even if you're a regular flosser.